ROASTED RED BELL PEPPER AND HEIRLOOM TOMATO SOUP
To freeze, pour in lidded jars and allow to cool in refrigerator. Transfer to freezer for storage.
Five ingredients for this wholesome, simple creamy tomato soup. We're making tomato soup from scratch with roasted red bell pepper to boost flavor and richness! Freezer Friendly. gluten free + vegan
1 lb (453g) Red Bell Peppersabout two large peppers
3 lbs (1.3kg) Heirloom Tomatoesabout 3 medium heirlooms
4-5 Large Basil Leavesoptional
1/4 C Olive Oil1 Tbs for saute'
1 tsp Sea Salt
1 bucket Optional Garnisheschives, basil leaves, cherry tomatoes, drizzle of olive oil, fresh ground black pepper
Roast the Peppers (2 options):
- Oven Roasting Peppers: Preheat oven to Broil. Place the peppers on a sheet pan and char large peppers for about 15 minutes rotating every 4-5 minutes so that all sides are blackened. Minis take less time, rotate about every 3 minutes.
Stove Top Open Flame Method: Place the peppers on the grate over a medium open flame, using tongs to turn the peppers as they char. Getting them good and blackened. You’ll need to make sure to stay with the peppers the entire time while roasting. This takes about 10-15 minutes.
- The peppers should be charred on all sides when finished. Place in a bowl and cover for 15 minutes to steam (this will help the skins come off with ease). Peel, remove the stem and deseed. If the seeds are sticking, gently run the pepper under a stream of water. Slice the peppers in large chunks and place in a high speed blender, I use VitaMix.
- Meanwhile, destem and cut tomatoes into large chunks. In a large skillet, add 1 Tbs of olive oil. Heat on low, then add the tomatoes and basil leaves. The tomatoes need to be softened and heated through, for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. Alternatively, the tomatoes can be roasted in a 425F oven for about 35 minutes.
- Pour the tomatoes in the blender with the bell pepper. Place the lid on, leaving the steam vent plug off. Hold a thick towel, folded several times, over the vent as to let some steam escape while blending. Starting on low, increase the speed of the blender to medium high. Puree’ the tomatoes and bell peppers for about one minute on medium high speed.
- Turn the blender down to low and slowly add the olive oil. Add the sea salt. Turn back up to medium high and puree’ for another minute or until desired consistency. Water can be blended in to thin the soup if needed.
- Taste for seasoning adjustment. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, diced tomatoes and ground pepper. Refrigerate in a lidded container for up to three days or freeze for up to five months.
|1 lb (453g) Red Bell Peppers|
|3 lbs (1.3kg) Heirloom Tomatoes|
|4-5 Large Basil Leaves|
|1/4 C Olive Oil|
|1 tsp Sea Salt|
|1 bucket Optional Garnishes|